Saturday, January 15, 2011

Second semester: First week of classes

                This week was the first week of classes and I am taking fewer classes but more units this semester. Last semester I took 15 units within 8 classes. Two of which did not count for any academic credit and this semester I am taking 16 units within 6 classes. This semester I am taking Latin II. The class went from 16 to about 7 because it was so tough. And I’m sure conflicts might have something to do with it.  Intro to the Bible. This class seems really cool because we’ll be covering the whole Bible within a semester. Obviously we’ll be moving along pretty rapidly. Ethnographic Writing is just research class. We’re learning how to gather information, create surveys (both written and spoken) and some other things. Physics and Philosophy. This class is pretty intimidating because I have never taken Physics, however the class should be interesting because we’re looking at Physics through the eyes of a philosopher, and we’re looking at Philosophy through the eyes of a physicist. Reading Literature. The books that we will be covering seem interesting as well. I am not a natural reader so the only thing keeping me excited for this class is to get over with it. just kidding. I’m interested in reading fictional material because it might give my brain a “time-out” from Philosophy. And the last class on my schedule is Thomistic System. This class so far has covered the stuff that I ended my Logic class from New York. So far it’s all review. We will be studying St. Thomas and his Summa Theologica. I can’t wait to get into this class because I love St. Thomas and all the amazing work he did in the 13th century.
                Aside from classes, it feels really good being home. Yes the seminary is a home away from home and I am really comfortable here. I had a really good Spiritual Direction meeting this last Thursday. It helped me get rid of that guilt that I had built up when I was at home for Winter Break. I am going to read Matthew 9:9-13 and ask “How Lord, did you do it! How did you not fall into the trap of the Pharisees?” Love the sinner, not the sin. Something I learned somewhere along this journey.  

2 comments:

  1. It's gonna be a blessed semester brother! Deo gratias! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ana said

    Nice..."love the sinner, not the sin"!!
    hope everything is good!!
    I will be starting school in May, so that should be challenging.
    Take care...hugs and kisses!!

    ReplyDelete